Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Study Dump

I'd thought I'd put up a few more pairings of the landscapes studies I've been doing with the photos they're referencing.

Wyoming Sky (2):



Montana (6):




Banff:




With these I'm mostly just trying to focus on technique and forcing myself to use the lasso tool.  Also paying special attention to how the combination of shadow and atmospheric perspective can be conveyed with large solid blocks of dark blue.  The idea is that whatever I learn doing here, I'll hopefully be able to translate into what I'm working on later with full illustrations.



1 comment:

  1. I prefer your studies to the photos. Photos seem to dull the lights and colors, while your paintings seem to expand the size and majesty of the clouds or mountains. They may not be "accurate", but when it comes to landscapes, I'd rather have the feeling of majesty, rather than an accurate hunk of rock.

    ReplyDelete